Last week we founded the category: breakfast and as promised, we will fill it from time to time, so today comes the next recipe. It feels quite nice to have founded a category here on our blog and so I was looking forward to writing this article for a whole week.
Today it’s all about egg benedict and we have to admit that we like it very much for breakfast, it is actually one of our favorites which we don’t eat too often because we’re not trying to compete with Obelix 😀 Bacon, egg and butter-sauce or as we call it fat fat and fat is not too healthy but you know, sometimes you just have to eat this things, right? Don’t be afraid of poaching an egg, just do it. It might not be right for the first and second time maybe but actually it is quite easy if you follow some tips. So hurry into the kitchen to try it, after reading the directions maybe 😀
What you need for this wonderful egg benedict:
- 4 slices of white bread
- 4 Slices of bacon
- 2 huge hands full of spinach (fresh)
- 2 eggs
For the Sauce:
- 100g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- some water
- a pinch of lemon
- salt for seasoning
How to prepare an egg benedict:
- Whisk the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water and a pinch of lemon on a water bath until it becomes creamy and lighter. In the meantime, you can already melt the butter in a pot or microwave.
- Add the butter drop by drop, but take it off the stove, thats very important. Put a lid on the pot so that the water stays warm, you probably need to heat it up later.
- When the whole butter is whisked in the sauce, it should be thick and creamy. Now just season it with salt and put it aside.
- Fry the bacon and put it in the oven to keep it warm. Right before serving, put the spinach in the pan and just heat it up with some lemon and salt.
- Poaching the eggs: First you need to take a pot of water and bring it to that point just before cooking. Now add a nice pinch of vinegar, we took white wine vinegar, darker ones are not that good, they color the egg. Don’t be too stingy. And DONT use SALT, that is the worst mistake you could make.
- As soon as the water got the right temperature, I take a cappuccino cup, open up the egg into it and use a whisk to create a swirl in the vinegar water. Now I just pull it out and try to get the egg right in the middle of that swirl. It shouldn’t touch the ground but this always works for us. Now you can heat up the sauce and fry the spinach. If you leave the egg there for about 2 minutes it is still soft inside.
- Now get it all onto a bread or toast or whatever and enjoy it.
bon appétit, Lars 🙂