What is actually better than a small cookie? Right, a giant cookie with chocolate filling. Makes sense, right? We just love american cookies with huge chunks of chocolate and a tenderness one can only dream of. But we didn’t want to form all the balls this time so we took a tarte form, put half of the dough in it, covered it with chocolate cream and finished it with the rest of the dough as topping. The chocolate cream we used was Ovomaltine and t hen you just have to put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes and you get a tasty giant cookie.
Actually, the chocolate filling makes everything so much better. You really can’t stop eating piece after piece. Our friends couldn’t stop either and they told us to sell the recipe to Starbucks 😀 Guess they had too much sugar that day.
We used Ovomaltine Crunchy Cream for the filling. Do you know it? We got to know it when one of us got one of those bags they sometimes pass out at the universities for students ( of course we are at the uni when they are being spread) So once we got that Ovomaltine crunchy cream and we were like, ok, never seen that before, gotta taste it. Best thing about this cream is the real crunchiness. There are these little pieces of crunch in it that make it so damn tasty. And that is why it is perfect for the cookie, otherwise it wouldn’t be such a surprise.
- 250g soft butter
- 250g sugar
- some salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 350g flour
- 150g chocolate chunks or drops
- 4 tbsp Ovomaltine Crunchy Cream (heaped 😉 )
- Mix butter, sugar and salt until you get a smooth dough. Then add the eggs and mix again. Now comes flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix it all again. The last step is adding the chocolate chunks or drops. Now mix it well. Best way is using your hands. Then let it rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C.
- Get the dough out of the fridge and put half of it in the tarte form. Spread it using wet hands until you get an even base. Now add 4 large tablespoons of Ovomaltine crunchy cream and spread it as well. Just make sure you got a margin of about 1 cm everywhere. Now put the rest of the dough on top like a lit and put it in the oven for around 15-20 minutes.
- When you take the giant cookie out of the oven it might feel too soft but it hardens as soon as it cools down. So don't worry taking it out while still very soft.