Everything is better with cheese, right? We used 3 different types of cheese in our mac’n’cheese so it’s gotta be perfect 😀 Mac’n’cheese is a real Sunday dinner for the whole family. Some use a roux as base but we don’t what makes the dish a bit lighter and the sauce is even more creamy due to the cream cheese. We saw this recipe at “cooking like Heston Blumenthal” where he talked about cheese a whole episode. he made some mac’n’cheese and we really wanted to show you how to do it.
- 600ml white wine
- 600ml veggie or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 160g cream cheese
- 180g cheese ( 2 different kinds of hard cheese)
- 400g Macaroni
- 2 slices of bacon
- 3 slices white bread
- salt and pepper
- Put the white wine, bay leaf, and garlic in a pot and let the wine reduce to 60 ml. Add the broth and let it simmer for 20 minutes an then remove the bay leaf. In the meantime, you can grate the cheese and chop the bread and bacon and cook the macaroni. As soon as the macaroni is done, put them in an ovenproof dish.
- As soon as the sauce is ready, pre-heat the oven to 250°C (480°F) grill and take the pot off the heat. Add about 120g of the cheese, rosemary and 160g cream cheese, then puree it until it's smooth. Now season it with salt and pepper. It's gonna be quite sour but the macaroni takes a lot of it and together it's just perfect.
- Tip the cheesy sauce over the macaroni and stir it well. Put it in the oven for about 5 minutes after grating the rest of the cheese over it. In the meantime, you can rust the bacon and bread in a pan and when it's crispy, spread it on top of the macaroni and it is ready to serve 🙂
Amendment by Jana:
P.S (I love you), no seriously, I love reading on Sundays, when there is nothing better to do. Of course, I have to read a lot for uni but that’s usually not so much fun, except for those essays about zombies 😉 I really love P.S. I love you, read it in 3 different languages and watched the movie. By now I have read all of Cecilia Ahern’s book except for the latest. I really love all of her books but since it was the first one I read I wanted to introduce this one to you.
Well, I can really recommend the movie, I mean, Gerard Butler, right? But I really love the books Cecilia Ahern writes in such a beautiful manner, it is always so lively and lovely. So if you are looking for a Sunday afternoon book, I recommend Cecilia Ahern and Jojo Moyes.