We really love sweets, who doesn’t? Lars prefers chocolate, Jana prefers wine gum and chips. But I guess, everyone has that one treat he would chose over everything else. Sugar really is a drug and responsible for so many illnesses and problems people have but it is the same as always, if you don’t exaggerate, you can eat sugar as well. The important thing is that you don’t eat too much and look at the “hidden sugar”.
But you know, there are days where you definitely have to have a piece of meringue with caramel and fruit. I don’t belief anyone who says that he or she doesn’t want to eat these things every once in a while.
The reason why we did that meringue was that we decided to cook more from cook book, needed some sugar and there was a birthday, which is the perfect occasion to bake, I mean, you don’t have to eat the whole thing by yourself, right? This recipe is from Jamie Oliver (wow, no one could have guessed that ). And it is worth a try.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 250-500g berries
- 400g cream
- 50g nuts
- 1 vanilla
- 450g sugar
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C (300°C) and grate the peel of a lemon and an orange. Just the colored part the white layer is bitter.
- Beat 6 egg whites with a pinch of salt in a bowl until stiff, then add little by little 150g sugar and the zest of the orange and lemon from (1). Now beat it until the sugar disappeared, there shouldn't be any pieces.
- Spread the mass on a baking tray and pull a few nice tips. The meringue has to stay in the oven for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, whip the cream until almost ready and add 150g sugar and the core of one vanilla and whisk it.
- As soon as the meringue is done, get it out of the oven and let it cool down. Now be careful and squeeze some tiny holes in it with your fingers. Like that the nuts and fruit rest there instead of rolling down. Now spread the cream and the fruit and heat up 150g of sugar and don't do anything. It becomes caramel after some time but don't stir too much, just let the sugar do its job. Watch your fingers, caramel is not so nice when it comes to fingers 🙂
- Now just get it off the oven when its brown and pour it over the meringue. That's it 🙂
It really is easy and you can use the egg yolks for creme brûlee or maybe pudding, whatever 🙂