The time for fresh asparagus is almost over, so we have to eat some as long as it’s still available. Luckily I have a clever girlfriend who loves the green one as much as I do. So we’re never gonna fight about green or white asparagus. I saw a hearty strudel in a magazine called “beef” and thought, we just have to try this.
Sadly, I forgot to take a pic of the recipe so I had to improvise but it worked out quite well and I didn’t have any problems. I decided to make a potato-asparagus-strudel.
I just got 1 tipp for you guys: Don’t eat something like this before you wanna go for a 10k run. 😀 worst idea of my life.
But it is super tasty and easy.
- 3-4 asparagus spears
- 3 potatoes
- 120g cream cheese
- 1 lemon
- salt / pepper
- 250g butter
- 4 pieces of phyllo (filo) dough
- 1 egg
- some Lemon
- salt /pepper
- left over butter from the strudel
- some water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (360°F). Cut the potatoes in cubes about the same size and let it cook in salted water for 5 minutes. In the meantime melt the butter in a pot at low temperature. While the potatoes cook, you can prepare the asparagus, cut off the ends and cut them in slices. Mix potatoes, asparagus, cream cheese, juice and zest of half a lemon, some chopped marjoram, salt and pepper in a bowl and put it aside.
- Now put one layer of the filo dough in you baking tray and spread the melted butter on it. It has to be quite humid. Put the next layer on top, butter it and so on until you have 4 layers. Now put some potato-asparagus thingy on one end of the dough but leave enough space to fold the ends. Now fold the ends and roll everything to a huge roll. We don't want it to become dry so we spread some more butter on top. Now put it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes you can take the butter that ran down and put it on the strudel again. After 20 minutes it should be golden-brown and ready. It stays hot for a long while so now is the best time to make the sauce.
- Heat up some water in a pot until it almost boils. It mustn't boil. In case the butter is hard, melt it again and separate an egg. Put the egg yolk in a bowl that you use for the water bath and add a tablespoon of water. Put this bowl on the pot with the hot water and whisk it. You really have to whisk it all the time, otherwise you get scrambled eggs. As soon as it thickens, take it off the stove and add the butter drop by drop. Keep whisking. As soon as it is bright, you can season it with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Heat it up for a short time and its done.
It looks more complicated than it is actually. You will see, it is easy and fast. If you like, you can add some fish or meat, but we liked it plain. Some veggie-day can’t be wrong 😉
If you try it, why don’t you post a pic of it? 😉