Yay, finally some cake. Loosing weight and eating cake is kind of hard, so we are always looking for a opportunity to bake a cake as a present. It was one of my colleagues’ birthday at work, so I thought we should bake something nice. Lars had the great idea to try a rose-tarte once and since we had apples en masse at home, we made some apple sauce and added it to the tarte.
Shortcrust pastry hasn’t been our favorite dough so far. But this year we finally got to know a few tricks that make everything easier. Use icing sugar instead of usual sugar. And don’t use the dough if it is still too cold. SO actually it is not very hard, you just have to know how to do it. The cake looks super extravagant even though it is not that much work. But it is super tasty due to apple sauce and pudding. We just bought a tarte mould. You can just take the bottom and take the rim off. That is really nice because like that you don’t destroy the cake 🙂
What you need for the rose-tarte
- 250g flour
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 75g sieved icing sugar
- 1/2 vanilla
- 240 ml milk
- •25 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Tbsp flour and starch
- ca 6 apples, red ones really look great
- some sugar
- a bit of lemon juice
- some apple sauce or 2-3 apples and 70-100g sugar
How to prepare a rose-tarte
- Prepare the dough first because if possible, it has to be cooled 30 minutes before processing. Knead flour, butter, icing sugar and the egg with your hands until you get a smooth dough. This could take some time but it really is the best solution for such a dough. A kitchen Aid or something else might be good as well but we don’t have any. Now form a ball and wrap it in clingfilm. Put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F) and prepare the apple sauce. Peel the apples, cut them in small pieces ad heat them up in a pot with the sugar. Let it boil a bit and then mix it as smooth as you like it. That’s it. Now it is time for the pudding because it has to cool down as well. Slowly heat up the milk with the sugar and the mark of the vanilla. It mustn’t boil. That is very important. Take a bowl and mix flour, starch and the egg. Add some of the milk to the flour mix and stir well. You don’t want it to become scrumbled eggs. Now add this mix to the milk, stir well and wait until it hardens. It shouldn’t be too hard because in that case the pudding can’t be spread. Put some cling foil on top and try to remove the air bubbles. It doesn’t build this skin if you do so.
- Roll out the dough and put it in the form. I wouldn’t suggest to butter it if you have a good one. The rim will reduce a lot if you have to butter it which would be sad. Now add some baking parchment and some peas or lentils or whatever you got that doesn’t burn in the oven. So put it in and wait until the rim gets a bit brown. Then take off the parchment and the peas and let it bake for another few minutes. After that it has to cool down before you can spread the apple sauce and the pudding.
- Cut the apples in quarters, remove the stones, but not too much, and cut some thin slices. They just shouldn’t be too thin because they have to be rolled and when they are too thin this isn’t possible. These slices have to be thrown in almost boiling water with sugar and lemon juice. They should be a bit soft so that you can roll them up without breaking them. But if you cook them too long, they get too soft and you can’t roll them anymore. Let them cool down a bit or your hands will not be amused 😉 Now make a string of slices, put one slice over the next one and so on. (You might wanna watch a youtube-video). Now take one end and roll it up until you have a rose. Put it on the cake and push it down a bit. The pudding can hold it easily and it doesn’t open like that. If you like, you can cover the whole cake with little roses, make a huge one or, like we did, just a few and add some pomegranate to it.
It really looks good, doesn’t it? And we think it is a perfect gift because it looks good and tastes even better. You don’t have to use the apple sauce, we just thought it would be very nice 🙂