Let’s talk about sweets for Christmas. What do you need most? I definitely have to have a lot of almond cookies. Oh dear, I could complete base my nutrition on them. Since I know that this wouldn’t be too good for both my health and my body, I always fight against that urge. I don’t know how you feel about the appearance of Spekulatius cookies in supermarkets but I am always excited. We have to wait so many month until they come back. Caramel cookies are nice as well but no Spekulatius, right?
For us, baking cookies belongs to Christmas as Captain America does to the Avengers 😉 Just has to be. The cookies you can buy are nice but you will never get that Christmas kind of feeling you get when baking them yourself. For me the best thing about baking is eating them while they are still hot and then realizing they were too hot so that your tongue is burnt and you have to wait at least another half an hour before being able to eat anything again.
What are your favorite recipes concerning cookies? Do you like to try new stuff or rely on grandma’s recipe? We’re like in between. Some things are better the old way but sometimes you have to try new things. So we tried to make almond cookies with Christmas spices. Our first try wasn’t really good. They were way too hard and not intense enough but now we got a nice recipe after trying a bit.
What you need for almond cookies:
- 125 g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- some salt
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 egg
- some milk, and some for the topping
- 300g flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- ca 1/4 tsp nutmeg
How to prepare the almond cookies:
- Mix butter, sugar, salt, almonds, the egg and the milk in a bowl. Take another bowl and mix the flour with the spices.
- Now add the flour to the butter-sugar mixture and knead it by hand until you get a nice dough.
- When you get a nice ball, put it in cling film and in the fridge for at least 1 hour. When this time is almost done, pre-heat the oven to 200°C (380°F) and get some cookie cutters. We took some usual ones because we don’t have a special Spekulatius form.
- Now roll out the dough, put the cookies on a baking tray with baking parchment and spread some milk before they get cozy in the oven for a few minutes. Don’t leave them there too long or they will be hard and very brown. We made 4 baking trays of almond cookies with that dough, just so you know 😉
Have fun baking these guys, Jana 🙂