I wanted to write about this Shepherd’s Pie for such a long time now but I never did. All the pictures are ready for weeks now and wanna be introduced. They seem to scream: ‘show us, we wanna have the chance to show off ourselves’. Kind of like Germany’s next top model. But way better. My model today is way more beautiful than those skinny and never-eating girls. To be honest, we really like those pics. It is always kind of complicated to wait for the right light because you need that for iPhone pictures. So we think it is ok to be proud;)
So today is the day. After I came home from my workout I really wanted to eat this. But I kind of not wanna eat this because of the workout. Crazy thing, right? But still I think that if I write about it it should satisfy me as well.
Such a Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect way to use up scraps. You can take whatever you like for the filling. You only have to remember 2 things: 1.there must be mashed potatoes everywhere on the dish and the second thing is the breadcrumbs. These 2 things make you pie something special.
For the breadcrumbs I mixed some bread with rosemary and chicken skin from the day before. Super easy and tasty. So if you don’t have any food planned for Sunday, this might be perfect 😉
[columns size="1/2" last="false"]
- 500g scraps of meat or fresh meat (we took chicken)
- about 1 roll and some chicken skin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- some rosemary
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pinch of milk
- 1 twig celery
- olive oil
- Salt / pepper
[columns size="1/2" last="true"]
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (380°F). Peel the potatoes, cut them and put them in salted, boiling water. In the meantime, chop the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and rosemary.
- Fry the meat with the vegetables and salt them. In case you don't have a sauce, take the fond, take a tablespoon of flour, add it to the meat and add some fond. Let it thicken so that you get a nice sauce.
- Sieve it and let the sauce drain. The potatoes should be ready now. Get rid of the water and add about 1 tablespoon of butter, a pinch of milk as well as salt and nutmeg. Mash the potatoes and maybe season it again, just as you like it. It is ok, if it seems dry, we need this consistency. So watch out for butter and milk.
- Now take the ovenproof dish and add some oil. Now spread the chopped rosemary and the puree.
You have to make sure that there is no spot left without mashed potatoes. It's a good idea to start with the 'walls' and then the ground. Like that you won't miss too much. We took our hands to get everything on the wall because no tool is as good as your own 2 hands 😉 You don't have to do this but it won't be as good as it can be. That is a great trick and important for it to be special.
- Now add the meat and veggies, add 1-2 spoons of sauce and cover it with a lid of mashed potatoes. It is important again that you don't have any free spots. Now put it in the oven for about 40 minutes. You can serve the rest of the sauce to dinner.
- The roll, some rosemary and the chicken skin should be mixed now and either chopped very fine or put in a blender. Fry it in a pan with some butter and wait until it is crunchy. When the 40 minutes have passed, add the cheddar to the pie and put it back to the oven for another 10 minutes. I add the crumbs when I serve it so that they stay crunchy.
We recommend you to try it. It has definitely become one of our favorite meals.