Upside-Down cake? Yes, that’s absolutely right. Sounds quite funny but hit is a cake that is perfectly ready after you turned it, well, upside down 😀 You put in the decoration first and the dough after that. Like that you don’t have to decorate it anymore, ok, well, we added some sirup but that’s very easy and fast to do.
Right now its blood orange season and since we love them, you can find almost every variety of blood orange recipes here. We love Gino Tonic with blood orange sirup or any kind of cake with blood oranges, oranges or lemons. And they are very very beautiful.
Don’t you agree that they look like a tequila sunrise as a fruit? Ok, I admit it, that was kind of a lame comparison but still I love the colors and thus I love blood oranges. And they taste great. Also kind of a mixture of flavors which really gets me.
Now it’s time for the recipe 🙂
- juice of 2 blood oranges,
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 peeled blood oranges
- 4 eggs
- 150g brown sugar
- 150g melted butter
- 200g flour type 405
- 1 teaspoon cardamom grounded
- 1 pack baking powder
- juice and zest of 2 blood oranges
- pinch of salt
- First, prepare the blood oranges. Heat up the juice of 2 blood oranges with the sugar until it dissolved. Then cut the peeled oranges into slices and add them to the syrup. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the eggs and sugar until fluffy and add the melted butter. Next, add flour, baking powder, cardamom, and salt as well as the zest and juice of 2 blood oranges. Now mix it well.
- Grease the pan and put in the orange slices and try to cover the whole ground of the form. Let the syrup simmer on 😉 Add the cake dough and put it in the oven for around 30-40 minutes. As soon as it is ready, get it out and turn it upside down and remove the form. Let it cool down and serve with some of the syrup 😉